ScratchMonkey Users Manual
February 14, 2016
ScratchMonkey is a sketch that turns your Arduino into a versatile programmer to burn programs onto a wide variety of AVR microcontrollers (MCUs).
What's New in Version 2.0
ScratchMonkey 2.0 features some fairly significant technical and architectural changes, notably:
- Thanks to the experimentation of João Paulo Barraca <email@example.com>, HVPP on standard Arduinos now reuses a serial port pin, so we no longer need an external shift register.
- Building on Leong Yu Siang's architectural idea, the code is now reorganized to separate the protocols from their concrete realization on the various boards used as programmers.
- Added support for programming the ATtiny4/5/9/10 family through the Tiny Programming Interface (TPI).
- Added support for status LEDs.
- Extended the STK500v2 protocol. avrdude will still be able to interface with ScratchMonkey through the regular stk500v2 protocol, but if it's patched to handle the extended protocol, ScratchMonkey will support status LEDs and TPI.
- Changed several of the pinouts. Please check the appropriate connection diagrams for details.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started With ScratchMonkey
- In System Programming
- High Voltage Programming
- Tiny Programming Interface
- Target Connection Diagrams
- Tested Configurations
ScratchMonkey is open source software, available under the terms of the BSD two clause license:
Copyright © 2013-2016 Matthias Neeracher <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.